Sunday 30 May 2010

Big Almaty Lake

2009 08 08 – Day 43 - Almaty


Having spent half of my three days in Almaty hiding in my room trying to recover, I wanted to get out and about into the spectacular mountains surrounding the city. Not yet strong enough to do all the research myself and with limited time, I thought it wise to pay for a guide through Turan Asia (Sundowners representatives in Kazakhstan) to lead me in a hike to Big Almaty Lake – a major source of fresh water for the city and a picturesque location to hike to.



The simplest route was to walk on top of the pipes channelling water from the lake to Almaty, but I preferred grass, rock and earth underfoot.



Fresh water in abundance.... with it being so hot, I was really glad some genius had setup this pipe from the river across the small ravine enabling hot hikers like me to quench their thirst and wash their sweaty faces!


The brilliant turquoise of the lake is down to natural minerals apparently. Having lived my life in the modern, industrialised world, not being familiar with such a colour in nature, and even though I believed the information I was given, my eyes and my brain had an underlying discomfort over the 'natural' nature of the colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment