Saturday 29 May 2010

A Day in Tashkent

2009 08 04 – Day 39 - Tashkent

Completing my Uzbek triangle of cities, I returned to Tashkent where I had one full day to explore. The weather at that time was punishingly hot, so in reality I spent a few hours in the middle of the day hiding from the heat in an underground internet cafe and went exploring towards the end of the day as the heat began to drain from the air. Three locals demonstrated the extreme strength of the sunlight, while waiting for a tram, by arranging themselves into a short queue across the tramlines until the tram was almost upon them, just to take advantage of the thin line of shade provided by a solitary lamppost.


Typical buildings lining the wide tree lined boulevards.


The Bolshoi Navoi Theatre


It was a bit of a surprise to pass such a healthy waterway when the environment seemed so hot and dry, but I suppose the greenery of Uzbekistan is ample evidence of sufficient water supply.


My exploration was really more of a casual guided walkabout with Tashkent local Julia, who had helped me out on the Aralsk-Tashkent train a few days earlier.


Tashkent has a couple of metro lines. The stops I saw seemed to have aspirations to follow the lead of Moscow Metro for grandeur.

No comments:

Post a Comment