Wednesday 9 December 2009

Helsinki

2009 07 19 – Day 23 – Helsinki

Having briefly visited Helsinki during the 4 months I'd lived in Finland 10 years ago, arriving was a strange mixed sensation of arriving somewhere new and somewhere familiar. My ears enjoyed their re-engagement with the rhythmic Finnish language even if my brain could process very little of it.

Helsinki Cathedral watching over Senate Square

Train Station – I had to catch an overnight train that evening to Rovaniemi, so I sorted my ticket before anything else.

After my time in St Petersburg, I now recognise the Russian two-headed eagle and this pillar is a town centre piece of evidence of Russia's previous rule over Finland.


I don't know what this is or by who, but I quite like it!


Sini, a friend from 10 years ago, helped send me off in style by joining me for a lovely dinner followed by decadent desserts and irish coffees mmmmmm. We gabbed and gabbed - it's so nice to catch up with friends you haven't seen in years! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment