Friday 9 April 2010

Around Aralsk

2009 07 28 – Day 32 - Aralsk

A wander round the centre of Aralsk yielded the following:


A local train line running through the centre behind the main square is an effective speed bump. I didn't see anything actually using the rails, but that doesn't mean they're not used...


Workmen were just putting the finishing touches to this brand spanking new statue and park space. It's clean shapes, sharp edges and basic symmetry making it seem a bit out of place with the buildings around it. A cynic would say the money could have been better spent, but I hope it's a statement of intent for investment in the town.


An official building on the main square.


The cranes were part of the dock before the sea left town.


Where the sea should be.


My hotel.... the only hotel (as far as I know).


When you're exploring unknown towns with no particular direction, a stray cow makes a good guide.
Earlier in the day, I had been in too much of a hurry to use the cash machines to follow, or photograph, the giant stray camel I'd seen from afar....so you'll have to make do with this cow. It's not everyday you see camels wandering through town is it?! At least not for me.


That's me told.

No comments:

Post a Comment