Saturday 10 April 2010

Look, No Sea! Desert Ships Graveyard

2009 07 29 – Day 33 - Aralsk

An hour drive from Aralsk, over what was seabed, there is a graveyard of abandoned ships. Ships that lost their usefulness when the sea retreated too far from settlements. Scrap metal reclamation by locals has reduced the number of ships from twelve to five partially reclaimed hulls.

The desert floor is littered with shells, one of the few pieces of evidence that where I stand had a much greater history of being under water than not... until relatively recently.

I was interested to see the arrangement of scrub around this hull mimicked a bow wave.... wonder why that is?

My driver and I were the only humans out here and the isolation was tangible. I depended on him to get back to Aralsk... did I know the way back? The desert tracks were fairly well worn, but there had been rudimentary junctions and I don't remember which way we turned and where... and I didn't bring my compass...

No comments:

Post a Comment