Wednesday 6 April 2011

Can't See the Wood for the Musicians

2009 09 15 – Day 81 – Chengde

After the underwhelming Hill Temple, I wasn't expecting a lot from Puning Temple.

I think they were preparing for the upcoming 60th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China celebrations, but I'm not sure.

The main temple building, in front of which some musicians were playing:
I was quite interested in some of their instruments and the sounds they were making, but couldn't stand around all day and so moved on to explore elsewhere.
I'd imagine whatever is at the bottom of that pile is pretty secure!
But it wasn't just that pile, there were padlocks all over the place on railings, lanterns and anything that seemed a permanent fixture in the gardens behind the temple.

To leave the temple complex, tourists are herded along a mock ancient street lined with shops overflowing with everything a tourist could want
I wasn't too put off by 'tourist street' until costumed children appeared to perform short acrobatic feats before requesting money.
I hurried on through.

It wasn't until I was on the train to my next destination that I realised I'd missed something. Scanning through the Lonely Planet to read some history that I might have missed due to my guide speaking Chinese, I was confused by not being able to find the write up of this temple. Digging out my ticket confirmed that it was Puning Temple, but the Lonely Planet guide said that Puning Temple contained the world's largest wooden sculpture! Where the hell was that then!? How could I have missed it!? I raced through the pictures on my camera in disbelief.
Ah. That's where it was!
Distracted by the musicians, tourists milling in the doorways, and a little pressed for time, I'd elected not to jostle for a view inside.
That'll learn me! Always know what you're going to see!
Ah well. Maybe I'll see it next time I'm in town! :P