Tuesday 19 April 2011

Chengde Signs

2009 09 15 – Day 81 – Chengde

I agree! It would be entirely inappropriate in the courtyard of a temple, as would this:
Can we jump up? Or fall down? Or climb down?

While wandering the palaces of Bìshǔ Shānzhuāng, I became a bit exasperated at the unimaginative information boards, too many of which stole small portions of my life by just describing what my eyes would be telling me if they weren't busy reading the stupid text! All was forgiven however, when I came across this beauty:
The sign reads: “The former address of the Emporer's toilet.”
Now I'm no postie, but I'm sure this address received plenty of 'Special Deliveries'!

While waiting for the train onward from Chengde to Dandong I spied the sign beneath the tv, which reads 'DO NOT GOB ANYWHERE'. This tickled me, partly because I was surprised to run into that particular slang verb, and partly because it seemed the perfect word to describe the rather too enthusiastic and vocal clearing of Chinese throats all over their streets. I had seen and heard enough of such action to feel it was a problem, even though I understand the situation is much improved in recent years.